Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Slow and Steady - Day 7

She isn't at the same level as her peers.  She isn't at the same level as her little sister.  She isn't at the same level as anyone....She's at her own level and she OWNS that.  And she is proud of that and she celebrates that.  My prayer is that she always understands that and celebrates who she is and what she can accomplish.

 I knew when she was born, that she was going to be delayed and she would never keep up with the kids her age.  When Emelia was born, I knew that one day her little sister would pass her up, in all areas of life.  What I didn't know, is how that would feel...until this year.
Emelia is faster in the gross motor areas.  She can ride a bike faster and run faster and is swimming faster and jumping better and dancing more.
 Emelia is better at fine motor skills.  She cuts with more ease and is writing most of her letters without frustration.  She can copy her name off her desk.
They are essentially the same height and weight and wear a lot of the same clothes and they are both potty training.....still.....(we have good days and bad, but that's a post for another day!)
Aubrey CAN cut lines and some circles.  She CAN write the first two letters of her name (Au) WITHOUT looking!  She can write H and M.  She can READ!
It is hard to see Emelia do things that Aubrey has not yet mastered, and with such ease, but I have to remember that ALL of Emelia's accomplishments are just as amazing and praiseworthy as Aubrey's are, no matter the order they happen in.  And no one cheers louder for Emelia's successes than Aubrey!

The day I'm waiting for, is the day that Aubrey realizes that she is not keeping up....
That day, my heart will break for her.  And I will love her and hug her and remind her of how much harder she works to achieve stuff than others and I will remind her of all her successes and accomplishments and I will remind her that all people are different and unique and that if we were all the same, and did all the same stuff, the world would be boring....the same things I remind my other girls, when they are feeling down or left out or not good at something.
 Because, when I step back at the end of the day, my girls are all going to go through emotionally rough patches and Aubrey is no different.  When I step back at the end of the day, she's just like her other sisters in so many MORE ways than she is different.  Sure, her experiences and feelings will look different, but she will still feel the same challenges and heart aches that all kids do.
 It's going to be hard.
No doubt about that, but the good news is that I'm practicing on her 3 older sisters, so by the time a boy breaks her heart.....I'll be ready for that conversation!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by...we love to know you were here!