Thursday, October 8, 2009

Seeing Love


Day 8 of "31 for 21". This really is a challenge, but as long as I get it in before midnight, I've still done it for the day...right:)

We are your typical family raising four girls. We struggle to get two out of bed, dressed, fed and off to school on time along with Dad. And then I move on to the next two, feeding, dressing, and getting ready for the day. We run errands. We shop. We play at the park and with friends. We go on vacation. We celebrate. We do it all just like everyone else. We are busy...just like everyone else:)

When Aubrey was first born (September 9, 2009), I did think about the Down syndrome part of her a lot. It was new to us and we didn't know much about it. It changed the visions of how we thought her life would go and so we did think about it when we looked at her. Now, when I look at her, I see her crazy brown hair and big eyes...I see over the top, unconditional, all consuming love for MY littlest girl. I don't look for the markers or signs of what I know is there. I just see the big girl that she is becoming and all the things that she is doing.

I can only assume that others, strangers, see it to when we are out and she flashes them her big smile, but I don't say anything unless they ask. I just introduce her as my Aubrey, the youngest of four girls. I think people are more in awe over the four girl thing, than they are about the Down syndrome! We aren't afraid to talk about that part of her, but it is such a small part of who she is, that I don't feel like I have to add it as an addition to her name, "This is my daughter Aubrey; she has Down syndrome."

We love her, just as much as our other girls. And when I look into their eyes, I see love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by...we love to know you were here!